Hair masks adds nourishment and deep conditioning to the hair and helps to repair damaged hair, add manageability and promote smooth and shiny hair. Read on to learn more about how to use a hair mask and for our Soft & Silky Hair Mask recipe.
Masks can be emulsions, clay masks, herbal masks or fresh masks. Masks are left on the hair for a few minutes before rinsing from the hair for maximum benefit of the nutrients onto the hair.
Fresh Hair Masks
How to use a Hair Mask
Depending on the type of hair mask, these are the general instructions. Some hair masks should be followed by shampoo and conditioner.
- Shampoo hair and squeeze out excess water.
- Apply hair mask onto wet hair.
- For split ends apply generous amount on ends, for damaged hair apply to entire hair.
- Put shower cap or towel over hair.
- Leave mask on for 5-20 minutes depending on mask.
- Rinse hair thoroughly removing all traces of mask.
- Apply mask once a week to once a month.
Tips for Formulating Hair Mask
Use smooth powders in hair masks such as fruit powders. Test the smoothness by adding a small dab of fruit powder into the palm of your hand, moisten fruit powder with water and rub into your palm. It should feel smooth with no rough residue so it doesn’t stick to the hair.
Soft and Silky Hair Mask Recipe
This hair mask is soothing to the scalp and leaves the hair soft, silky and shiny. Plant-based yogurt soothes the scalp and relieves itchiness and adds moisture and protein leaving the hair soft and silky. Spirulina is a super food, an algae, a nutrient rich dense food adding nutrients and bringing vitality to hair. Double the recipe for thick, textured and long hair.
- 1/4 cup plant-based yogurt (soy or almond) *see note
- 1/4 teaspoon or 1 capsule powdered spirulina (blue or green, I used blue)
optional: 1-2 drops plant oil (avocado, argan, coconut, sunflower, baobab, moringa, marula, almond, broccoli or olive oil) *see note
optional: add 1 drop lavender essential oil or chamomile essential oil
- Mix ingredients making sure the spirulina is dissolved.
- Apply mask onto wet or dry hair with a brush or your hands. Do a scalp massage.
- Allow the mask to sit on the hair for 2-5 minutes. Wash mask off, shampoo and condition the hair.
-Use cold plant-based yogurt to soothe the scalp.
-I first apply the mask to my scalp and top of my head and then mix in 1 drop plant oil and apply the mask to the ends of my hair as my hair easily absorbs oil and oil weighs down my hair.
Are you interested in developing your own hair care products? Check out:Professional Natural Hair Care Product Making Course