This body butter smooths so beautifully on the skin leaving it soft, supple, moisturized and a soft glow. It is not overly greasy and goes nicely into the skin. It is excellent for dry and chapped skin, the feet, hands and as an all-over skin moisturizer if applied onto damp skin. Try applying the butter after a shower or bath.
Simple Whipped Body Butter Recipe
Batch Size: Fills 4, 8 ounce jars
2 cups shea butter (I used shea nilotica)
3/4 cup plant oil (I used avocado oil but sunflower, apricot or olive oil work)
1 1/2 – 2 teaspoons lavender essential oil or a blend of your choice
1 teaspoon arrowroot powder or cornstarch (optional-see note before using)
1. Add shea butter to mixing bowl. If using a firmer shea butter you may need to soften a little first depending on the type of mixer you have. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer whip for a few minutes and cream the butter.
2. If using arrowroot powder or cornstarch, first gently warm the plant oil, warm to touch and add arrowroot or cornstarch and stir into the oil. Make sure it is completely absorbed. Test a little of this oil on your skin and make sure you don’t feel any grittiness. If you do, you may need to warm the oil a little more until all grittiness is gone. If not using arrowroot or cornstarch move on to step 3.
3. Pour plant oil into the mixing bowl containing shea butter and mix together.
4. Pour essential oils into the butter and whip.
5. Whip until the butter has doubled in size. This can take anywhere from 5-10 minutes.
6. Scoop body butter into containers, cap and label.
Note: Important! If using arrowroot powder or cornstarch, warm the liquid plant oil up a little (warm to touch) before adding the powder.
This whipped body butter must be stored away from heat. Air is whipped into this butter. If the butter is exposed to heat, it will melt to half the volume. The butter is still good. Refrigerate to solidify. Re-whip if needed.
Shelf life for this butter is 2+ years.
Joan Morais is a natural cosmetic formulator, instructor, author and the owner of Joan Morais Naturals. Joan assists product makers on how to make high quality, stable and effective natural body, hair and skin care products for personal use and a product making business.