About Joan Morais
- Cosmetic Formulator and Instructor
- Experienced in Cutting Edge and Innovative Formulations, including CBD topical products
- Organic, Natural, Sustainable, Plant-Based, Clean Beauty Formulations
- Certified Aromatherapist and Herbalist
- Mentored Thousands in Learning the Science and Art of Cosmetic Formulation
- Founded Business in 2003
- Member of the Society of Cosmetic Chemists
I am the founder of Joan Morais Cosmetics School (JM Cosmetics School) formerly known as Joan Morais Naturals. We are an online school and teach how to formulate and make effective, safe, compliant natural, organic, green and clean beauty products.
I am Hawaiian born. I was born on the Hawaiian Island of Kaua’i, on Kamakani, one of the last sugar plantations and then moved to Kalaheo, near Mt. Waialeale (the wettest spot on earth). Our house was near a beautiful forest with majestic trees, plants, flowers and we played in it. Hawai’i affected me deeply and left a deep imprint on me filled with the aroma of the trees, flowers, plants, ocean air, rain and beauty. It instilled my love and deep connection for nature and animals. Beauty from nature, green and clean beauty is what I am passionate about. In the courses, sustainable, natural and organic botanicals are used in the formulations.
I’ve always had an innate sense to use organic and natural products on myself and my daughters when they were children. With my deep fascination for botanicals; herbs, flowers, sea plants and trees, I started my journey to be a medicinal herbalist. In my herbalism training I was fascinated with using botanicals on the skin and hair. Most homemade herbal products were greasy and didn’t feel good on the skin and hair. I started developing my own formulas for natural lotions, creams and balms with botanical infusions with beneficial results and feel for the skin and hair.
I continued my education in traditional healing modalities and healing plants. I created an herb garden growing herbs and plants with superior benefits for skin and hair. Next, I wanted to understand cosmetic science and took courses on chemistry and cosmetic chemistry. From my training, I have a balance of nature and science. Because of my initial self-training with formulating and making natural hair and skin care products I can teach students to easily understand the science and art of cosmetic formulation.
My passion is teaching others to formulate and make green and clean beauty, high-quality, plant-based, cruelty-free and sustainable body, hair and skin care products.
We strive to provide excellent customer service and course materials in a format that is easy to learn, understand and assist students to be successful as a formulator and maker of natural skin and hair products.
I have three grandchildren and do what I can to make the world a better place for them. I lived in the Bay Area, California, for over 50 years and recently moved back to live near the ocean. I live in Southern California with my husband. I am also the author of A Time To Celebrate, a book I wrote for girls and their cycle.
My mission in life is to learn every day, treat myself and others with love and respect and do what I love. I believe in possibility and prosperity for all. My motto is “Be It”, change your mind for the better, take action and your life will naturally change for the better. It is being the change you want to see.
Sign up to receive my cosmetic formulation tips and updates here.
Instructed and Lectured At:
- Alliance of International Aromatherapists (AIA) Conference
- UC Davis
- Napa Valley College
- St. Helena Upper Valley College
- Solano Community College
- Method pop-up store in Chicago
- La Costa Resort and Spa
- Learning Exchange
- City of Fairfield
- The Nova Studio
- California Institute of Massage and Spa Services
- San Francisco New College
- Society of Cosmetic Chemists
- Indie Business Network
- NOHBA (Natural and Organic Health and Beauty Alliance)
- Cosmetic Chemistry
- Developing Natural Cosmetic Formulations
- Physiology of the Skin
- The Institute of Integrative Aromatherapy Certificate Program
- Ayurvedic Clinical Aromatherapy
- Cultivating the Herbal Medicine Woman Within: an in-depth certificate course exploring herbology with Kami McBride
- Making Natural Perfumes with Mandy Aftel
- Master Gardener Program
- Women’s Herbs
- Flower Essences
- Ayurveda for the Westerner
- Mushrooms as Medicine
- Seaweed as Food and Medicine
- Women’s Wisdom: Health & Well-Being
- Reiki I
- Professional Plant-Based Certification Course