The Ayurvedic Tradition
Ayurvedic or Ayurveda is an ancient medicine tradition from India that covers balancing all aspects of life, including beauty. The 3,000 year tradition, Ayurveda, believes that beauty is not just skin deep but also comes from within. Ayurveda hair, skin and body products have been increasingly popular. These products contain special herbs, ingredients, plant oils, or other ingredients that have been used in Ayurvedic traditions for thousands of years. Ayurvedic body massage with plant oil is a practice one can follow. Using a protecting body oil during the colder months is also found to be beneficial to ones overall health and the condition of the skin.
Ayurvedic Body Oil
Ayurvedic treatments have been used in India to provide beauty and help those feel rejuvenated and energized. A therapeutic massage (Abhyanga) with oils is believed to bring balance to the three Ayurvedic Doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha). Cold pressed sesame oil is commonly used. Or one may select an oil based on one’s skin type, called dosha or on the season. Below we list body oils for each Ayurvedic dosha.
- Vata (dry skin): Try a heavy, warming, and grounding oil. Use Sesame, Avocado, Almond, or Bhringaraj oils. Great for colder months.
- Kapha (oily skin): Use a light or stimulating oil. Try Flaxseed, Safflower, Sunflower, or Amla oil.
- Pitta (overheated or sensitive skin): Select a cooling, neutral, or balancing oil. Try Coconut, Sunflower, Olive or Castor.
How to Use: Take the oil and massage the feet, body, and face for at least 15 minutes. This allows energy to move and release. This will leave the skin radiant and you feeling radiant as well. Afterwards, remove the oil by bathing. This will wash off any toxins the oil pulled.
- Protects the skin and body
- Soothing to the skin
- Can help relax one for better sleep
- Can help balance your dosha or skin type
- Promotes wellness and health
Herbs for Enhanced Benefits
Try infusing herbs into your body oil to enhance the benefits.
Try these Ayurvedic herb:
- Hibiscus- cooling, astrignent
- Amalaki- regenerating, antimicrobial, boosts immunity
- Bhringraj- antibacterial, improves sleep.
- Brahmi- packed with Vitamin c, protecting and boosts immunity
Start a Ayurvedic Hair or Skin Care Line
Are you looking for a niche for your beauty line? Launch a Ayurvedic inspired hair or skin care line. Perhaps you can first launch with a nourishing body oil kit that promotes an overall wellness. The kit can include an aromatic body oil, a dry brush or wand and come in sustainable packaging.
We teach how to make Aromatic Body Oil at our continual training site, The Formulators LAB. The Aromatic Body Oil Product is a straight to market formulation. Once you join, you will also get immediate access to 10 Product Formulation Classes and counting.
The Aromatic Body Oil Formulation:
- Nourishing and High in Vitamins
- 100% Plants
- Natural Botanicals
- 100% Vegan
- Fast Absorbing
- Natural Scent